MEAM.Design - IPD 501 - P4: Check
Schedule & Requirements
|Feb 23, 6:00 p.m.
||The project begins.
|Feb 25, 4:30 p.m.
|Mar 4, 4:30 p.m.
||The project ends.
What better way to put the new TL-1 into service than to create a 501 chess set?
You have two days to do the following:
- Divide into two groups of four, and decide on your team's collective style/theme.
- As a group, design the pawns for your side of the board (be sure to document this process).
- Keeping with the theme, Individually design two other pieces (decide as a group who will do what, and document the design process).
- On Thursday, present your theme, as well as the progression of the designs.
Then you will have one week to refine your designs and cut all of the parts.
Note the following:
- We will pre-set right and left-handed carbide turning/facing tools, and a part-off tool.
- A member of the teaching staff must be present when you are cutting your parts.
- We will be using 1-1/4" diameter aluminum stock held in an 8" chuck. The maximum allowable spindle speed is 1500 RPM.
- To allow for post machining (mill, secondary manual lathe ops), you may want to leave a short section at a standard diameter for insertion into a collet.
- The parts will be sent out for anodizing after they are all completed.
- The felt from P2 can be used to cover the base of the parts.