Design to be completed by 10:00pm on Friday, July 10th, with final products down by the end of Monday, July 13th, this task will help you gain familiarity with designing for 3D printing on the MakerBots as you create a custom derby car.
- Design and build your own Matchbox Car
- We will be printing your derby cars on our fleet of MakerBots
- The time limit for your prints is 30 minutes
- You will be given two alloy steel 1-1/2" length dowel pins, 3/16'' diameter
You can choose from the following available colors:
- Others...ask Carly
- Car width of 1" maximum
- Axle slot on car: 0.26" diameter through
- Wheel diameter is 1"
- Clearance (maximum distance) from axle hole to bottom of car is 0.25"
- Design your car
- TA or RTA reviews your design before submitting (and throughout the design process)
- Save your files as: name_color.x3g AND name_color.thing
- RTAs will print your cars! (feel free to watch them print in RPL)
- Submit car files to Carly by Friday Night (see Submission details below)
- On Monday: Build cars and race!
If you have some spare time and would like a challenge. Try and design your own laser cut wheels.
- Axle wheel hole: .18"
Email your .x3g and .thing file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line SAAST ROBO Derby.
In the email, include:
- Number of Shells
- Layer Height
- Support (yes/no)
- Raft (yes/no)
- Estimated print time
If any of these are missing, your car will not be printed.
Submit your files by Friday Night
Submit your finished car Monday Night