Come see us at the NEW website MeamLabs.seas.upenn.edu
The MakerFleet consists of six MakerBot Replicator 2 3D printers and three MakerBot 5th Generation Replicators. These machines are available for use in the Rapid Prototyping Lab (Towne 167). Access to this lab is controlled via PennCard swipe.
The Replicator 2 and the 5th Generation MakerBots are a fused-deposition modeling (FDM) machine that extrudes PLA plastic to build up objects layer-by-layer to produce three dimensional parts. It is meant for quickly prototyping parts, often where aesthetics and manufacturing speed is more important than exact dimensional accuracy. The maximum build volume is 11.2" x 6.0" x 6.1" and 9.9" x 7.8" x 5.9" (w-d-h) and although it is strongly suggested that parts should not take up the entire build volume. Layer resolution is set by the user, and can drastically affect print time and build quality. The fastest, coarsest setting is 0.30 mm (0.011") while the slowest, most detailed setting is 0.10 mm (0.004"). Large parts are prone to shrinkage and warping due to unequal cooling throughout the part; due to this, large parts are often best-suited for our more accurate Dimension Elite, Objet 30, or ProJet 6000.
More information about the bots can be found on the MakerBot website.
- These machines are for use by MEAM students only or students taking a MEAM course (MEAM 101, 201, 404, 410/510 or IPD 501).
- All files must follow the naming convention PennKey_Course#_filename.X3g (ex. BenFra_101_Top.x3g) or PennKey_Course#_filename.Makerbot (ex. BenFra_101_Top.Makerbot)
- Any jobs that do not follow the naming convention or the above rules will be canceled.
- Filament may be checked out for use in the Replicator 2s but must be returned within 24 hours to the RP Staff.
Note: 2 GB SD cards can be purchased for $5 in RPL.
Course Specific Instructions
Not in MEAM?
- Non-MEAM students who wish to use the MakerFleet must fill out a special request form here.
Training, Preparation, and Use
Select a machine to find learn more about Training , Preparation and Use
RP Staff Hours
Come to Staffed hours for Training, Filament Check out, help and to Use the 5th Generation machines.